Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Doctors, medical staff on drugs put patients at risk | KING5.com Seattle

Very scarey problem, but I don't understand why society for some reason has this collective assumption that because these people are doctors, nurses or some other type of health care professional they are immune to the prescription medication addiction epidemic. I myself know of 1 doctor who today readily admits that he is an addict to prescription narcotics, which started back when he himself became a patient undergoing surgery.

He told me the first time he diverted medication it was suppose to be the only time, he was in pain, working a double shift he wasn't planning on and his prescription was at home, so he told himself "just this once". He was so nervous after he did it because he was scared he was going to get caught, but he didn't and for that matter he said no one even suspected, so the next time it was even easier.

I think the main method to help these people will be to include urine screening for these health care professionals, I know there are some doctors who may feel degraded by having to provide urine samples for drug testing but the way I look at it, just as I had to do my 20 years in the US Military, if you have nothing to hide what's the big deal about being tested and if you are truly concerned about the people as a health care professional you should be prepared to provide that sample, you may not have a problem but what about that doctor in the next room over???







Doctors, medical staff on drugs put patients at risk | KING5.com Seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment