Saturday, January 11, 2014

CDC: Americans drinking more, telling doctors less - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

So I have a question, does the fact that America has an alcohol problem surprise people? It doesn't surprise me because although I haven't had a drop of alcohol since October 30, 1998 I am an alcoholic and not ashamed to admit it and I probably should have quit drinking before then. Although it's been 16 years since I quit drinking I feel in my mind and body that I still suffer from side effects from the many years I did consume alcohol.

So why didn't I quit sooner? Well there is a couple of reasons, first of all back when I first had my first drink, oh so many years ago in the early 1980's the educational material on the effects of alcohol weren't readily available, not to say the effects weren't known it's just back then their was a conspiracy over alcohol just as there was over tobacco use in the 1970's.

You have to understand the revenue that the federal, state and local governments make from the sale of tobacco and alcohol sales, and it's not in the million of dollars but most likely in the billions so of course the various branches of government don't want to loose money from their biggest money maker therefore much of the health information was held back from the public, at least until the advent of the whistle blower.

Yet I can't blame it on the government, that would be the easy way out, I can say that back then, early in my drinking career I knew deep down that something was wrong, but it goes back to the acceptability of alcohol use and my pride.

Pride, I point at my pride for why I drank as long as I did and why today only 1 in 6 of adults who abuse alcohol discuss their alcohol consumption with their doctors or anyone else in their lives for that matter.

In this country, even though I think alcohol is the most dangerous drug their is, alcohol has always been a part of peoples social life right to the founding of this nation.  When the Europeans began exploring and moving to America they had to bring the concept of business with them, yes Native American's had their form of trade but true capitalism had to be brought to this country and there where a few vital businesses that where the first to spring up in this country.

Examples would be of course the mortician, doctor,  Inn's, livery keepers, blacksmiths and of course the pub. Second to church the pub was the social outlet for colonists, its where decisions where made, partnerships where formed, farms where bought and sold and yes wars where planned.

The social acceptance of alcohol has been something pumped into us all since we where children, most of our parents used alcohol and to me as a child it seemed they where having fun, television commercials constantly telling our young minds that drinking makes your life better, gets you the most handsome husband and the best job.

I honestly remember as a teenager day dreaming one particular day dream. That was me as an adult driving a mustang down the highway, smoking a Marlboro and drinking a bottle Lowenbrau beer. Why Lowenbrau? honestly I don't know, my only guess is that must have been the beer commercial that made the greatest impression on me when I was young because my step father drank Budweiser and my mom drank Coors

So what happened to me when my mind and body started talking to me, oh probably around 1995 (remember I didn't quit drinking until 1998)?  I was ashamed, when I should have been more worried about how much alcohol I was consuming I was more worried about what other people would think of me, that they may think I was weak if I admitted I was concerned (worried?) about my alcohol use (abuse?).

Pride is what it boiled down to for me, and I think its the same for most adults, I think they are embarrassed by the thought of admitting to their doctor or someone else that they may have a problem with alcohol, and I think it is pride that keeps so many of us listening to our bodies and minds when they have had enough.

The human body is smart, it knows when it is in trouble and I think there is a point when you know that alcohol has become a problem and you could actually quit with out experiencing withdraw, quit without putting your life at risk but I believe that window is a small one and I thank God I listened and took advantage of that window instead of letting my pride continue to get in my way.   



CDC: Americans drinking more, telling doctors less - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

No comments:

Post a Comment