Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Hey everyone, here we are the day before Thanksgiving and I just wanted to take the time out and tell everyone to have a safe and happy thanksgiving. It looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate to make sure everyone gets home in time to spend the holiday with their family and though that will suck just be thankful you have that family.

One thing I haven't talked about in this blog is the fact that I spent 20 years in the United States Navy and retired on 31 Dec 2005. While serving in the navy I served in 3 ships and have been all over the world and because of that I have learned to be thankful for what I have, and right now I don't have a whole lot given the fact I am actually homeless and have been since June, but that is another story I may or may not cover in this blog, probably most likely I will cover it piece by piece but not in one big story.

This Thanksgiving I am spending alone and homeless, my wife is in a hospital in Monroe, Washington and my son is stuck with his evil grandparents (evil to me and my wife) who are my wife's mother and step father, and again that is another story that will 100% be covered in this blog because I want to help make sure what has happened to Sandi and I don't happen to others, however I'm sure there are few people out in the world who are like my in-laws, but again that story is not the purpose of this post.

The purpose of this post is just to tell you to have a Happy Thanksgiving and be thankful for what you have, and even though I am homeless and will spend this Thanksgiving alone, I am still thankful, thankful because even though I am not with my wife and son this thanksgiving, I love them and I am thankful that I have them. I don't own anything right now either except the clothes on my back, some clothes in a back pack, a couple of books (I love to read about history so I always have some type of history book on me), a cell phone and this laptop.

Back when I retired in 2005 my wife and I had everything. We owned our own home, 3 vehicles, a camping trailer and Sandi as many shoes and perfume as she wanted. Jesiah our son was born 3 months after I retired in March 2006 which puts him at 7 years old now, I mean it we had everything we thought we ever wanted. Then I got sick, I have FSH Muscular Dystrophy, or the complete name;  Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy and that will be another thing I blog about, maybe not here but I may start a blog just about that and the progress of the disease.

OK as you can see, sometimes its easy for me to get distracted, so let me get back on track. I learned from seeing things and people in other countries to be thankful for what I have and in some cases for things I don't have. Some of the things I am thankful for follow down below, and it's going to only be a couple because I am thankful for many things because I live and am a citizen of the United States of America.

  1. I am thankful that I don't have to go to the San Diego County landfill to find food for my family to eat each night, that when we are together even though I am sick and it's hard for me to work, that I make enough on my retirement from the navy to provide food for the table.
  2. I am thankful that I have a wife who has stood by me through thick and thin, and though it seems we have had more than our share of thin times, we have stood by each other. Divorce has become way to accepted in today's day and age, its almost expected to happen.
  3. I am thankful that I served in the military and retired in a nation that does what it can to take care of it's veterans, and although the system isn't perfect its better than most.
  4. I am thankful that I have medical insurance, one of the benefits of serving 20+ years in the US Navy, my wife and I have insurance for the rest of our lives and Jesiah is taken care of until he is 27. Just think as of right now I don't even have to worry during this time of Obamacare.
  5.  Lastly, and their is many more, just like how the government isn't perfect in taking care of it's military veterans, there are still programs that are in place to help the homeless and less fortunate, especially those of us who want help to get off the streets and make a better life for ourselves and families.
Well here I have gone again and got carried away, but I guess that's alright as I have no readers of this blog yet, and if you are reading this and saw my previous entry that tells you the main reason I write this blog is for myself. I know for a normal reader a blog entry this long would probably be skipped by 99.99% of most readers. So let me end it here and just say again, have a Happy Thanksgiving, be safe if your driving (remember the weather is sucking in most of the country and your family would rather have you show up late in your car then show up in a coffin), and be thankful for what you have, and in some case's what you don't have.







No comments:

Post a Comment